Wednesday, 8 January 2014

W.I.P. Wednesday Charity Quilt Project Blocks

It's W.I.P. Wednesday at Freshly Pieced and I am linking up today with some blocks I have been working on for Charity quilt projects. First up are quilt blocks that I am sending out in the mail (hopefully today) to the U.K. to Little Island Quilting. She has asked quilters to send her 12 1/2 inch quilted blocks, or whole quilts if you can, to distribute to children in a home for street children of Mexico City. Check out her Jan. 2 and Jan. 5 posts on her blog if you want to get involved.

 I posted last week on my blog about my friend who is too ill with cancer to sew anymore and she gave me an amazing gift of a Juki sewing machine. She also gave me three file boxes of fabric! Inside one of the boxes was this postage stamp block. I added the borders to make it 12 1/2 inches. I am not the greatest machine quilter so I am a bit nervous to send these off. I hope they are okay.
I made these two pinwheel blocks for the Mexico City project and quilted them with stippling.
And I found this red and white block in my stash which I tried to echo quilting on. So, I hope these blocks will work out for the project and help to make a difference.

These next four pictures are of slabs I have made for my Quilt of Valour project. The smaller slabs will be cut into maple leaves which will be appliqued onto a piece of white fabric. The larger slabs will be cut in half to be the sides of the Canadian flag. The quilt will be a rainbow of Canadian flag blocks.
This slab technique is new to me so I hope I am getting it right. It's good for using up scraps that's for sure. This project fulfills two goals: to sew a quilt of valour and to use up some of my sizable scrap collection.


I am using Cheryl Arkinson's Oh, Canada pattern for this project.
So those are my WIPs this week. I am linking up with Freshly Pieced today. Thank you for visiting my blog!


  1. Your blocks look great! The slab blocks look especially perfect for scrap busting. Visiting from the WIP linkup :)

  2. hello! YES! Your blocks ARE great! And you are brave to keep practicing the quilting! A big hug to your friend, what a kind and generous gift!!!!!

  3. Aww. Thank you Stephanie. :) You are a no-reply blogger so I could not email you back... but I want to say thank you for the confidence boost. Much needed sometimes. :D


Thank you for commenting. It means a lot that you took the time. :) I have turned off word verification to try to make commenting easier for you. This means I now must limit who can comment to registered users.